View by Country and Subject

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Food from the Earth


More than anything, I have learned what it means to eat from the Earth and the hard work that comes with it. 
As a vegetarian until just recently, it was difficult to watch the slaughter of animals and furthermore to put their flesh into my mouth. Yet I did it out of respect for the animal that died for my sake and the cycle of life and death that we must all face.
Working in the garden was a humbling experience and I am in awe of the women who do it day after exhausting day. It is simply amazing to see them toiling underneath the hot sun with babies strapped to their backs and a smile on their face in spite of it all. Women of the world - I salute you!!!
This batik is inspired by the power of the sun and possibilities of solar power in the village. Food grows from it's rays and is watered by the solar-powered water pump then stored in the solar-operated refrigerator. Someday, I hope to make this vision a reality!

1 comment:

Kenwise Sauer said...

"Iqbal, that great poet, was so right. The moment you recognize what is beautiful in this world, you stop being a slave. To hell with the Naxals and their guns shipped from China. If you taught every poor boy how to paint, that would be the end of the rich in India."