View by Country and Subject

Monday, April 27, 2009

Plant Dyed Wool

I just spent an incredible weekend with natural dyer Jane Meredith in her GORGEOUS home in Hereford, right on the river Wye. It would not be an exaggeration to say that this really is paradise on Earth! 

Although she focuses on natural dyes on wool, she has also tried her hand at batik. Check out this stunning lamp shade!
I couldn't believe the variety of plants in her garden and furthermore that each one can create such a vibrant color on fabric. These woad plants are huge!
Can you believe these colors are from natural dyes?!

A row of beehives completes the natural batik artist's heaven.

My arrival coincided perfectly with "Wonderwool Wales" - a showcase of wool and natural fibers. Jane's booth for her company "Plant Dyed Wool" was by far the best!
I fell in love with the blue and green scarf on the far left and was absolutely touched to receive it as my parting gift. It will be treasured forever.
It was wonderful to meet Alison Daykin,  whose brand of natural dyes "Pure Tinctoria" I have been using with Isabella Whitworth.
 I have been studying Helen Melvin's book on indigo dying and never thought I would actually get to meet her in person!
Even Diane and Jim Gaffney were there with Textile Designs! 

No comments: