View by Country and Subject

Friday, June 19, 2009

Bogolanfini

Bogolan is a way of creating designs on fabric using clay (not mud!) and an integral part of Malian culture.

While there is no wax involved, the symbols and processes used in Bogolan are very similar to batik which only arrived long after Bogolan was established. Each piece of Bobolan cloth represents the sun which grew the cotton, the earth which dyed the cotton and the artist who is him/herself made of earth and sun. The circle of earth, sun and artist is moved by the creative spirit and the finished product is indistinguishable from the thing that created it.I love the neutral tones of this fabric and the absence of chemicals used in making them. For how proud the Malians are of their national fabric however, I am surprised by the few locals I see wearing it in contrast to the ubiquitous batik, tie-dye or British wax prints everywhere I look. In this hot, brown land, I can see the appeal of the brighter and more colorful clothing which looks so wonderful on their dark skin. Personally however, I love the earth tones of Bogolan more!

No comments: